Communications Manager (Part-Time)
Congregation Etz Hayim (CEH) is a Conservative Jewish congregation located in Arlington, Virginia, about three miles outside Washington, DC. We are a small congregation, serving approximately 125 families. We offer a wide variety of religious services and programming to members and to the wider community, and we have a vibrant Religious School and Preschool. We have a small team of full-time office staff and an active corps of volunteers.
We are looking for a social-media savvy individual to develop, implement and maintain a communications plan and compelling digital collateral for the Congregation in order to promote our events, activities and schools. This person will act as the primary content manager, copy editor, and graphic designer for the synagogue’s website, emails and social media.
The Communications Manager reports to the Vice President of Membership but will work closely with clergy, staff, and volunteers to prepare marketing materials and emails promoting programs, events, and the synagogue as a whole.
The responsibilities listed below include both ongoing duties as well as longer-term projects; longer-term projects will be prioritized such that they can be accomplished within the time constraints of this part-time position.
- Develop and implement compelling marketing strategies and collateral to help further organizational goals, and monitor their success;
- Aggregate content from multiple sources in order to design and produce weekly e-mails, monthly newsletters, flyers and promotional videos;
- Develop and manage the Congregation’s social media presence;
- Update and maintain the Congregation’s website;
- Maintain the communications calendars for the Congregation, Religious School and Preschool;
- Advise clergy, staff and volunteers on marketing and communications best practices;
- Staff the Communications committee;
- Maintain the member database, as well as email and mail distribution lists;
- Respond to congregant and community inquiries regarding programming.
Required Background and Skills
- Proven success in designing and executing communications/marketing strategies and collateral for a non-profit organization;
- Expert with Constant Contact, Google Suite, WordPress Website management, and Facebook;
- Experience with video editing, and graphic design;
- Ability to optimize social media in order to promote the organization;
- Entrepreneurial self-starter who will take ownership of the congregation’s internal and external communications but works cooperatively with staff and volunteers;
- Willingness to train staff and volunteers to effectively use communications tools;
- Ability to communicate patiently and sensitively with members;
- Top-notch oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
Preferred Background and Skills
- Familiarity with synagogue life and structure;
- Knowledge of and passion for Jewish life;
- Experience with ShulCloud.
Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
- Work is performed primarily in an office/home office setting.
- Work is sometimes performed under tight deadlines.
Hours: 20 hours/week
Benefits: Flexible working hours
Free Synagogue membership
Tuition discount in our Preschool and Religious School
Interested candidates should email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.